Finally click the “Upload” button!
This experiential online course series will take you through the steps for shooting and editing your own family history film video.
The goal is to jumpstart your process so you can proudly click the “Upload” button and share your family history film with the world. You’ll be able to send out a link by email, text, or multiple social media channels so people anywhere can watch your film! This course is a hands-on journey that gives you the skills to tackle that family history film idea, break down any obstacles, and actually get your project done.
Sign up for the Course
September 8 - October 27 5pm - 7pm Pacific
Conducted on Zoom this series includes
- Eight 2 hour weekly online classes
- Instruction, examples, Q&A, group discussion, and links to reference materials
- Free Windows and Mac software for recording video interviews and audio, developing photos, and film editing
- Access to a private Facebook Group with your fellow book publishers where you can ask questions, get advice, show off your work, and cheer each other on
- Two 60 minute 1-on-1 online coaching sessions with personal historian Cory Bretz
- Film Screening Debut Party streamed live on Facebook where you’ll get a chance to reveal your film to the world!
- Planning Your Film
- Free Online Technology
- Organizing Your Story
- Online Video Interviews and Audio Recording
- Video Editing and filmmaking
- Storytelling Basics
- Research & Genealogy
- Film Screening Debut Party Live Stream
This course is for you if you like to do-it-yourself, gather skills to work at your own pace, or you need accountability to get it done by partnering with others.
We'll be using free software like Google Docs and Google Backup and Sync, Google Photos, and DaVinci Resolve. There is also commercial software available that you could buy but the free software has been tested and works just fine.
This course is led by personal historian Cory Bretz who has been producing life story family history films for over two decades for clients. He’s already made all the mistakes and learned the hard way...so you don’t have to! Cory focuses on helping you move past whatever obstacles you feel like you’re facing in your filmmaking project so you can get it done and inspire the world.
Attendance is limited to 20 people per class. Course fee is $199 USD.
Eventbrite will send you an email with Zoom link 2 hours prior to the session.
Sign up for the Course
July 28 - Sept 15 5pm - 7pm Pacific